Ideally, a route should be straight and level.
- (fixed or movable) reduce available straightness;
- can direct the route to a less desirable slope.
Key features of a route
- Unobstructed width and straightness
- Slope - Low gradient (forward) and crossfall (across)
- Even surface even - dips and rises
Unobstructed width and straightness
- tree girth expansion, basal shoots, root damage to surface
- fixed: post, barrier, bollard, bin, bench, ...
- movable: advertising sign, parked vehicles, ...
- street cafe
Low gradient (forward) and crossfall (across)
- crossfall - normal 1% to 2%, maximum 2.5%
Even surface even - dips and rises
? - difficult / unknown definition